Monday, October 4, 2010

Old King Cole

  Old King Cole was a merry old soul. Or at least he seemed to be. He was the best king that the kingdom of Hueca. But, he wasn’t as merry as everyone assumed. Poor Cole was actually miserable and lonely. The Royal Advisor, Poshindinski McRichington was relentless about the issue of the king remarrying. Everyone who attempted to make the king fall in love with them ended up denied by Poshindinski. They were all too tall, too short, too fat, too skinny, too poor, or too eccentric. King Cole was extremely tired of the affair and decided he would meet the possible women himself.
  As it turned out this just made it worst. Even more women flocked to the castle when they heard of the young king’s wealth and looks. King Cole sank deeper into the depression and the kingdom spiraled out of control.
  Then, one stormy afternoon Poshindinski finally convinced Cole to try to find a wife one more time. So, the Royal Advisor opened the great gates and women flooded inside.
  “Your Majesty, I believe I should be your wife because I will make you happy.” one woman said.
  “Your Highness, make me your wife and we’ll dance until dawn.” a rather clumsy woman claimed.
  “Your Greatness, I am the perfect woman.” a beautiful, but exceedingly vain lady bragged.
  But all were sent away. At sunset when they were about to close the gate an average to pretty looking girl ran up to the gates.
  “Wait! I need to talk to King Cole! Wait!” the girl yelled.
  “Ma’m, I’m afraid that you are too late. The King is very tired.” Poshindinski said eyeing the rags that she wore with distaste.
  “Poshindinski just let her in.” he commanded. “You might as well.”
  Reluctantly, the Royal Advisor led her into the throne room.
  “Miss…?” he began.
  “Adrianna.” She replied.
  Miss. Adrianna is here to seek company with you, milord.” Poshindinski said pompously.  
  “Miss, why do you think you should be my wife?” asked King Cole wearily.
  “I don’t” Adrianna stated simply.
  “What?!” Poshindinski exclaimed.
  “I’m not beautiful, or talented. I can’t dance, and I can’t promise that you’ll always be happy even when I’m here. God knows I’m far from being the perfect woman. The only thing I’ve got going for me is that I’m perfectly happy with how I am and I won’t try to change you.” Adrianna said confidently.
  King Cole gaped at her. Here was the kind of person that he could fall in love with. She didn’t see him as a prize but as a person.
  “Poshindinski, please inform this Adrianna’s parents that she has been chosen.” King Cole announced.
  “B-but s-sire…” he began.
  “Miss. Adrianna, will you be my wife?” Cole asked.
  “Sure, why not?” she said playfully.
  “S-sire! She has no proper breeding! She’s a peasant! It’s ludicrous!” Poshindinski yelled.
  “Poshindinski, you’re fired.” The king said calmly, then turning back to his fiancé.
 “Sir, you can’t do this!”
 But the newly engaged couple ignored him and chatted, completely oblivious to the rest of the world.     

No comments:

Post a Comment